Friday 30 July 2010

What's the big deal?

So I was sitting in one of my favourite cafes on my lunch break, enjoying a very good cheese salad baguette. I turned around to get something out of my bag and came face to face with a mother behind me, breastfeeding. I was mildly surprised, it wasn't something I was expecting to see. But I wasn't outraged or disgusted or whatever so many people seem to think I should be. She was fairly subtle, I didn't see any breast or anything. Nobody around me seemed bothered either. Mostly I was just grateful that the baby was well fed and happy, rather than hungry and grumpy and crying its head off, which is much more likely to put me off my lunch!

I started thinking about where else she could do it. The toilets in this place are quite small and not very well lit. I don't think anyone should expect her to hide herself away in them, as people often claim. I don't think she should be punished for trying to keep her baby happy and healthy.

In other news, work is going well today and I am happy. And I bought three more Simon Scarrow books, looking forward to reading them! And going up to London for a friend's birthday tonight, very excited! We're going to an awesome cocktail bar, should be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment