Thursday 19 August 2010

Difficult decisions

Recently, I've been having the urge to talk openly with more friends and family about my depression. I talk about it openly on here, I'm more than happy to volunteer for Time to Change, etc... But it's a difficult thing to bring up in conversation with friends. I've told my parents, a selection of closest friends and my boss, but that's about it.

I've been toying with the idea of writing a note on Facebook "announcing" (for lack of a better word) the news openly to people. But it seems a slightly cheesy way to do it, I'm not sure if I like the idea. It would be the easiest way to tell lots of people though. I really want to talk openly with friends and family, be able to drop it in casual conversation, I find it helps to normalise the whole situation. I'm happy for people to know, I just don't know how to tell them.

I don't really know what's appropriate in this situation. I've known other friends with depression, but I forget how they dealt with this particular issue. Suggestions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Facebook can be a great way to tell many people something, but maybe this is too personal to put on an update. We all have lots of friends on FB and there could be people on your friends list you may not want to know all your "personal" business. I would be wary of this...Maybe you could have a get together at your house and invite those you want to share your news with in an intimate setting where you will feel safe, secure and supported. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete