Thursday 20 May 2010

Happier now

So things didn't quite go how I was expecting last night. I did cry, a lot, more than I have done for a long, long time, which was surprisingly therapeutic. Then my boyfriend, who I was expecting to be asleep, happened to see my post and called to see if I was OK, which was really sweet :) And then my friend texted back and was a lot more sympathetic, so all is good. We've agreed I need stronger medication. I've made a doctor's appointment for Monday. Fun.

Then today I spent four hours in a meeting. Well, two meetings, but one immediately after the other. I am a volunteer fundraiser for the Alzheimer's Society, and today there were two different committee meetings. I was elected as Secretary for one of the committess, which was a huge surprise, and very exciting! Except now I have pages and pages of minutes to type up.... Volunteering for the Society has been really good for me though, it gives me such a huge confidence boost, and gives me something interesting to talk about in job interviews.

I also gave some feedback on a project I'm working on, setting up a Singing for the Brain scheme in this area. Apparently the part of the brain involved in singing is one of the last to be affected by Alzheimer's, and it's a great way for those affected to bond with carers and find a way to express themselves again. I'm so excited by this project and finding out about it has been really interesting. And after I told them how far I'd got, I asked them what they wanted me to do next. They basically just asked me what I thought needed to be done, and then told me to do it. I've pretty much been given management of the entire project, I'm so excited! The scheme sounds fantastic, and I really want to be the one who makes it happen in this area. I have no idea how I'm going to find a leader for the group, which is my next challenge, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

But that can wait for now. I'm shattered, might go take a power nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment